Friday 25 March 2011

short update

Tonight I went over to my friends Laurence (who works at the library at the middle school where I am once a week) and Emmanuel's for dinner. We had raclette (with ham and potatoes-- no veggies, which I thought was funny) and then Manu (Emmanuel)'s homemade waffles for desert... with jam or nutella or powdered sugar or honey on them as you like. I was there almost 5 hours and didn't even see the time pass-- so much fun! It's silly (and they thought so too) that this is the first time I've been invited to someone's house for dinner. I was invited to a German prof's house, but that was because Lisa had been invited and Christine, the teacher, knows me too (perhaps better, at this point, because Lisa's never around). But none of the other profs have invited me over. They've TALKED about having me over but time's running out and I'm leaving soon. Even the cleaning lady, Marise, is having Claudia and me over for lunch next Saturday!!! Oh well, whatever. I don't take it personally, but it's still weird. People are just different here (than in the countryside of Aurillac, that is.)
Laurence and Manu said that they want to have Dad over for a bar-b-q if he ends up coming to Vichy!

Tomorrow Allana and I are going to Clermont to climb then we'll get kebab for dinner (excited!!) and catch a train back to Vichy at 20:32. We get so excited about kebab here because it isn't the stick with pieces of meat and veggies on them like we're used to. They are HUGE sandwiches with meat that's been sliced off of a huge leg (usually lamb or beef) that's been turning on a stand and roasting behind the counter. Then they add lettuce and onions and the most AMAZING (and probably awful for you) white sauce. It originally comes from the Middle East and, being so much closer to this area than, say, the USA, usually the people who run these doner kebab shops are Turkish or sometimes Moroccan (I know, I know... that's not the Middle East...) Anyway, SO good and SO worth getting excited about! And not expensive... 5€ for a sandwich and awesome fries. And we always go to the same place in Clermont so the guys recognize us (plus we're cute haha) and give us as much sauce as we want and then Moroccan mint tea afterwards. Yummy. This is one thing I will miss terribly once I'm back in the States.

My roommate, Claudia, and I are trying to work out some details as far as visiting Greece in May goes. I also want to see a couple places in Italy as well as Toulouse, Versailles, and Bordeaux in France. I need to start making concrete plans!!!

Off to York, England next week with a 35 14-year-olds and two teachers. We'll be there a week and, as a chaperone, I don't have to pay a penny for the trip. In fact, they're paying ME to go!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment